After so much pressure piled on the Nigerian government by protesters of the EndSARS campaign to have the Special Anti-Robbery Unit banned due to their maltreatment of young innocent citizens and their oppression, the Inspector General Police of the country, Mohammed Adamu decided on Sunday afternoon to dissolve the unit.
While addressing reporters in Abuja about the new development, he read out the things needed to be known about the latest action taken on the dissolved unit.
5 Things You Need To Know About Dissolution Of SARS:
1. The Inspector-General of police has dissolved the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) across all the 36 states command and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) with immediate effect.
2. All officers & men serving in this unit will be deployed to other Police Commands, Formations and Units.
3. A new policing arrangements for tackling offences of Armed Robbery and other violent crimes will be unveiled to the public soon.
4. A citizens and strategic stakeholders will be launcehd to have an avenue for citizens to regularly interface and advise the police authority on issues touching on the general public.
4. To deal with reports of crimes committed against citizens, an investigative team will be constituted which will include civil society organisations and culprits will be punished.